• @CosmicTurtle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    465 months ago

It reminds me of a lawmaker in one of the flyover states that wanted to make it illegal to look at the source code of a website.

Think about this for a second.

And realize that this twat is writing laws.

• @CosmicTurtle@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        245 months ago

No, it was a few years back when a researcher found that there was a plain text file of county employee social security numbers just sitting inside the JavaScript of a government website.

There are too many Google results from the upcoming election for me to sort through but suffice it to say, the guy was a class A idiot.

• @seang96@spgrn.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        165 months ago

I don’t think so, but it was in response to some smart people developing their government website with the database stored basically in the HTML of the website if I remember correctly. A good Samaritan reported it and was basically charged with hacking the state.

• pixelmeow
          link
          fedilink
          English
          45 months ago

The problem with this is that reading the generated HTML behind a page that has been served to your browser does not prove that data was stored in an HTML source file. The data is inserted into the page while it’s being served to the browser. That’s what the JavaScript does after it requests the data from the backend code, which gets the data from the database (or whatever storage is being used) and sends it back to the JavaScript, which puts it in the page.

Saving data in source HTML files would mean every possible combination of data anyone might request must be saved in its own separate file, which is definitely not how web development is done. Laws should not be made by people who don’t know what they’re talking about.

• Mario_Dies.wav
          link
          fedilink
          English
          15 months ago

A good Samaritan reported it and was basically charged with hacking the state

Wait, really? What would I search to read more about this? Do you remember which state?

• lad
            link
            fedilink
            English
            55 months ago

I remember hearing about this, so I tried searching for someone “being charged after reporting personal data exposed on a website”

Turns out, it’s Missouri, 2019, or another article on the same topic

• Mario_Dies.wav
              link
              fedilink
              English
              35 months ago

Holy shit, that governor really made an ass of himself. He just kept doubling down lol

Thanks for the links!

• lad
        link
        fedilink
        English
        85 months ago

Happened around 2021-10-15:

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson said that his administration is pursuing the prosecution of a local newspaper reporter who alerted the government to website security flaws.

It’s in the following sources, at least: TechCrunch, NPR, NY Times

• Aatube
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        5 months ago

What’s wrong with that “a series of tubes” speech? It seems pretty accurate to bandwidth

Edit: Searched it up. The part that was wrong was him blaming email delays on bandwidth.