• AutoTL;DRB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    25 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Allies of former President Donald J. Trump and officials who served in his administration are planning ways to restrict abortion rights if he returns to power that would go far beyond proposals for a national ban or the laws enacted in conservative states across the country.

The New York Times reported on Friday that Mr. Trump had told advisers and allies that he liked the idea of a 16-week national abortion ban but that he wanted to wait until the Republican primary contest was over to publicly discuss his views.

Since Roe v. Wade was overturned in the Dobbs decision in 2022, many leading anti-abortion groups have pushed Mr. Trump to endorse a national abortion ban at 15 weeks of pregnancy, which they are casting as a politically moderate position.

Since he left office, some of those people have remained in Mr. Trump’s orbit, defending him in court, suggesting policy plans well beyond issues like abortion and attending events at Mar-a-Lago, his private club and residence in Florida.

Speaking at a church in Gallup, N.M., last spring, anti-abortion activists rallied the crowd to support a local ordinance that would require compliance with the Comstock Act but referred to the law solely by its statute number, 18 U.S.C.

The Comstock Act made it a federal crime to send or deliver “obscene, lewd or lascivious” material through the mail or by other carriers, specifically including items used for abortion or birth control.

The original article contains 2,001 words, the summary contains 240 words. Saved 88%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!