• LCP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    771 year ago

I found Reddit Gold and Discord Nitro’s gifting systems to be smart ways of monetization.

There are people who, despite what you try, cannot or will not pay you. Gifting allows you to keep the people that positively contribute on your platform while still earning money from elsewhere.

Amazing how swiftly they’re progressing with their enshittification. Makes me re-think all those 9 years spent there.

• @CoderKat@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -11 year ago

Meh, AFAIK they’re all genuine updates. I mean, you can read the patch notes to see for yourself. They’re actually really amusing patch notes always full of jokes. I can’t fault em for wanting to regularly push their subscription considering that you get so much for free. Software development is expensive.

• @Archer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          101 year ago

Patch notes that they force you to look at with no way to disable it. Every. Single. Update.

• @Corkyskog@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 year ago

Dont worry… They are replacing this with almost direct monetary contributions.

There was a leak about how contributors will be able to earn money from updoots.

• @TechnoBabble@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      31 year ago

I agree, the “award” systems, are one of the least offensive monetization strategies I’ve seen.

Keep in mind that awards don’t have to behave like Reddit and Discord have implement them. I’m sure there’s room to innovate in a community focused manner.

Reddit however, has decided that they need to crush everything and go full Silicon Valley vampire in order to squeeze a lifetime of upper class earnings into a get rich quick payout scheme.