• @scarilog@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    24 months ago

Well you’ve clearly never 3d modelled anything. Especially for a part that has to fit to existing parts, it takes far more time than just making a cylinder.

• @mojofrododojo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      34 months ago

lololol

I started with 3dsr3 on dos bro. I design and model my own prints, ranging from input devices for vr to cosplay bits for the kiddos.

Yeah, I mean you’re gonna have to bust out the calipers… I don’t mean to suggest there are one-step shortcuts, but at the end of the day, you have an exterior diameter and interior diameter to worry about so it fits other bits, and external details that may or may not be needed (flutes to strengthen the design for example). But for all that you’ll spend way more time dialing in and printing tests to find the best orientation and support / adhesion / extrusion / infill etc…

but the modeling itself? an hour, a test print, fit test, adjustments, another test print (tests don’t need to be all of the model btw, if you’re just testing for fit to other parts!), then you should be on your way to a usable prototype. the cost of modelling should be the smallest sink in time cost.