• Flying Squid
    link
    fedilink
    45 months ago

Biden is more of a national name.

More national than his own vice president?

• Absolutely. The VP position is not a high profile position, and Harris has been disappointing even in that regard - and I’m saying that as someone from California who would have supported her for president. Whether you want to base it on racism, sexism, personality, or the administration in general, she’s mostly been balancing on the knife edge of being a non-entity and being actively disliked.

My personal hope was that Biden would make Harris a front and center member of the administration in preparation for stepping down after one term and giving her a slow pitch over the plate to be the next president. He did not do so - she was more in the shadows than Biden was under Obama, and far more than Cheney was under W or Gore under Clinton. The theme for the past four years should have been transitioning, rather than Biden pulling a Reagan while riding off into the sunset. Whoever Biden picked should have played that role. It could have been Pete, it could have been Warren, it could have been anyone picked from the Democratic candidates or from state governments.

What I’m saying is that there is absolutely no way that we should be looking at a very realistic possibility of a Trump re-election and that this is feeling a lot more like 2016 than 2020.