• Concerns rise as Neuralink fails to provide evidence of brain implant success, raising safety and transparency questions.

• Controversy surrounds Neuralink’s lack of data on surgical capabilities and alarming treatment of monkeys with brain implants.

• While Neuralink touts achievements, experts question true innovation and highlight developments in other brain implant projects.

• AutoTL;DRB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    254 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Neuralink founder Elon Musk claimed this week that the first human to receive one of his company’s heavily scrutinized brain implants was already able to control a mouse cursor with their mind.

“[Neuralink is] only sharing the bits that they want us to know about,” Sameer Sheth, a neurosurgeon who specializes in implanted neurotechnology at the Baylor College of Medicine, told Nature.

Leaked documents detailed how the implants resulted in a myriad of grotesque injuries, including rupturing a monkey’s brain and causing severe cerebral swelling.

A relevant detail that raises questions about Neuralink’s surgical capabilities is another report of a monkey with a botched brain implant.

“A human controlling a cursor is nothing new,” Bolu Ajiboye, a brain computer interface researcher at Case Western Reserve University, told Nature.

Meanwhile, other brain implant projects have allowed fully paralyzed patients to communicate through a digital avatar using only their mind, or to control life-changing robotic prosthetics.

The original article contains 480 words, the summary contains 154 words. Saved 68%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!