• swayevenly
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 months ago

$80 to undo what you did to slow down my phone.

• @AtariDump@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -104 months ago

What did they do? Prevent it from randomly shutting down? Because I’ll take a slower phone or a random hard shutdown any day of the week.

Was it wrong? Yes. But what else does any handset manufacturer do?

• @Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            44 months ago

It’s useless, folks here will never believe that other devices do the same thing. I think they’d rather just have their device shut down at 25%.

On my original battery five years into having this iphone and it’s still screaming fast…

• @Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                14 months ago

Here it’s just “someone enjoys iOS?! NOT ON MY WATCH”

I’ve got three Linux machines, six? Maybe seven? Windows machines, and I love the shit outta my iPhone. I was a first-adopter of Android with the Dream and loved it. But when I realized iPhones can last for 5-6 years with full updates AND STILL BE FAST with no effort, reformatting, or thinking about them… that’s all I want from a phone.

That and the privacy is better. It’s not perfect, but it’s lightyears better than ANYTHING google.

But on Lemmy, that makes me a baby toddler noob that knows nothing about computers, because if I just got this google device and did all of these mods to it and installed all this software and maintained it and BRAINED HARDER I could have a similar experience to my five year old iPhone

• @DingoBilly@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

The tech inside is great, but Apple also knows its customers are happy to pay a hefty premium over cost. I hate Apple but they are amazing at branding at end of day.

• @fartsparkles@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        114 months ago

Apple are almost certainly planning a non “pro” model that will be much cheaper and the pro’s high pricing drives discussion, exclusivity, which leans in on their aspirational brand modus. Thus, the non-pro model will likely have absurd sales as people rush to finally buy in at their price level.

I don’t support it or like it but Apple have been following this playbook for decades now and unfortunately it really works.

• @HootinNHollerin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          44 months ago

It’s also easier to engineer the thing first without heavy cost pressure then reengineer it to be cheaper. With added benefit of better understanding the market and demand