All of Canada’s ambassadors and heads of mission have signed a letter to senior Global Affairs Canada officials warning that Canadian staff abroad are struggling to access health care coverage.

• @delirious_owl
    link
    104 months ago

All of Canada’s top diplomats have taken the extraordinary step of writing a joint letter to their superiors warning of an “untenable” situation as their health insurance provider fails to process claims for Canadian staff working abroad.

Oh, title was misleading. They have access to the healthcare, they’re just having delays in being reimbursed

• @Voroxpete@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        34 months ago

Healthcare in Canada is deemed a provincial responsibility, but that creates kind of a grey area when it comes to things like soldiers or diplomats deployed abroad. Which province foots the bill?

So, the fed just puts every federal employee on a private insurance plan. I believe it’s Blue Cross right now. This applies if you’re in Canada as well, that way wherever you get posted, the fed is footing the bill. Plus it means we get eyecare, pharma, some limited dental, stuff like that.

• @Poutinetown@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          24 months ago

Interesting. That makes a lot of sense. I guess blue Cross is not too bad since it’s a 501c4. However I would expect it to be easier to process.

• @Voroxpete@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            14 months ago

Thankfully we’ve never had to deal with overseas claims (at least, not yet, sooner or later my wife will almost certainly be doing a tour in Latvia), so I can’t comment on how that works. From the article it sounds like there’s some kind of separate group that does the processing? It’s not really clear to me.