A loud minority of Texans call for Independence, which is not really possible as far as I know, BUT could the Rest of the USA just kick another state (Not necessary Texas) out? Or is this also not possible?

• @EatATaco@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    24 months ago

I would be doing it a disservice to try and explain it myself, but there were a lot of legal theories on how they could justify WV without justifying the Confederacy leaving the union. It’s an interesting topic.

• @John_McMurray@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      14 months ago

Seems like it’d be easier, more honest and less “Jump through hoopy” to just say they left and we reconquered them. Unless you really don’t want think states leaving is legal when it probably is.

• @EatATaco@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 months ago

You’re mistaking the fact that I recognize a limitation of myself with something else.

link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          4 months ago

If what I said wasn’t fairly accurate, there’d be no need for legal arguments so arcane you don’t feel capable of describing them accurately.

• @EatATaco@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            14 months ago

One thing I am pretty good at is recognizing blatantly bad logically fallacious arguments on the internet, such as the classic “false dichotomy.”

link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              4 months ago

No, you clearly aren’t, especially if you think this is a false dichotomy. I’m sorry, you were right about your limitations.