Github dislikes email “aliases” so much that they will shadow ban your otherwise normal activities for months, and once flagged, support will request not only a “valid” email domain but also that you remove the “alias” email from the account completely.

• @toastal@lemmy.ml
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    4 months ago

The pull request model Microsoft GitHub force on users ends up being a colossal waste of everyone’s time & it’s the only model offered. It’s also a social media platform which encourages star hacking, READMEs that are actually RENDERMEs, focusing too much on making one’s graph green, etc. that are bad for project quality & mental health IMO. This doesn’t sound like a “premier” platform but the result of lock-in & network effect. The way to break is to go host elsewhere… & since Git is a distributed version control system, this should be encouraged.

• @toastal@lemmy.ml
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        74 months ago

Or SourceHut, or self-host cgit or Forgejo. Hell, why run Git when Darcs & Pijul are awesome.

• Atemu
        link
        fedilink
        44 months ago

Because the projects I want to contribute to are on Github, not some other forge. Also, I don’t want to create accounts on dozens of forges; each with their own settings and whatever; I also don’t want to have to put contributors to my projects through that, so if I want external contributors, Github is pretty much my only choice.

I don’t like it but until federation between forges is a thing, Github it is.

• Atemu
            link
            fedilink
            34 months ago

Yeah, they’re gatekeepers. We know. Even EU regulators have noticed and are finally making baby steps on cracking down on them.

Though just as with Twitter and Reddit, we need a resilient decentral OSS alternative for this to work. That’s in the works as we speak but it’s not here yet. It’s like trying to give up Reddit 3 years a go; there was no viable alternative.

• Krafting
            link
            fedilink
            24 months ago

@arbocenc @Atemu it’s not because it’s the most used thing that it is good and you should use it too, exactly!

Corporation are not your friends, remember that