• @biffnix
    link
    English
    174 months ago

Honestly, this baffles me. I work in K12 as a CTO, and when hiring techs or network admins, I always let applicants know during the interview when I will make the hiring decision, and they will receive an official letter of regret if they are not hired. I always keep resumes on file, as you never know if other opportunities come up. Why would any organization want to burn bridges with potential hires?

Maybe it’s just me being Gen X, but not hearing one way or the other would prompt me to pick up the phone, and at the very least check back to ask if they’ve made a decision after a week (maybe two) if I’ve interviewed…

• @achance4cheese@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      174 months ago

Being on the applicant side, you almost will never hear from or speak to a human. There is no way of validating what the result of the job wound up being. Was it filled, cancelled, did the company die? Likely filled, but often you won’t even get an automated response for 6 months. I haven’t been on the applying side in almost a decade, but I recall submitting something like 50 applications a week. I’d usually get a call back for a role or two every other week, and out of the 12 or so interviews I landed, 5 went to second interviews, and I received 2 offers. I was still fairly early career then but the hoops I had to jump through just to land a call was insane! Don’t get me started on hiring processes now, my company requires video resumes for outside applicants. It’s so unnecessary! Sorry for the word wall!

• @acetanilide@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        34 months ago

Now it’s more like 50 apps per day, 2 interviews, 0 offers. Except for the MLM that you didn’t realize was an MLM. They always give an offer.

• lol, the offer is pay $200 starting fee to your upline before we send you to brainwashing “training” sessions. “Before you know it you’ll be raking in millions!” I had a buddy of mine fall into an MLM after failing to sell his handmade creams. I think he’s still trapped in it while his wife works her ass off to make ends meet with their two kids. Feel bad for her more than him. But more angry at MLMs, truly scummy.

• @acetanilide@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            14 months ago

Yeah, it’s disgusting. And I didn’t realize how many industries have MLMs. I always basically thought it was Tupperware and makeup. Boy, was I wrong.