• @Sorse@discuss.tchncs.de
    link
    fedilink
    74 months ago

Also, I would personally be a little wary of choosing Kbin, as the developer’s behavior over the past few months has been concerning. Mbin would likely be the better option between the two, but that’s just my 2 cents.

Can you explain please

• ProdigalFrog
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I don’t want to be too negative here, and to any mods that read this, if this is too negative, feel free to remove this post. But in the time that I’ve been a Kbin user, this is what I’ve personally witnessed.

The Kbin developer has a tendency to disappear with no communication for months at a time, likely caused by taking on way more load than one person can handle without burning out (He is virtually the only developer of Kbin, is taking on developing the Kbin mobile app, is the only admin of the largest Kbin instance, Kbin.social, and the only moderator of multiple communities there, which have languished in his absence, as seen in the posts on m/Kbin and m/Kbin Meta).

He appears to have an extreme lack of trust in others, wanting instead to take on all responsibility himself. This becomes an issue when he disappears, since he is the only one with merge privileges on the Kbin github, resulting in many PR’s for hotly requested features languishing until he suddenly reappears, having been silently working on some aspect of the backend without informing anyone else, making collaboration difficult.

That difficulty appears to be why Kbin was forked into Mbin.

As an example of the trust issues: Even though the Kbin community has repeatedly asked to be able to help him manage Kbin.social, either as an admin or putting in requests to moderate his communities filled to the brim with spam, nothing has changed, and it’s been business as usual.

Before his most recent absence, he mentioned he was going in for a minor surgery that would leave him laid up for a couple days, then went radio silent for over a month, leading people to fear the worst. When he reappeared recently, his explanation for why he didn’t post a quick “Hey guys, I’m okay, but won’t be around for X time,” was that he didn’t want to “Cause chaos.” 🫤