• db0
    link
    fedilink
    74 months ago

The focus of Lemmy devs is on the server side, with the rest basically a MVP to keep ongoing funding (NLnet funding is tricky on its own, the main two devs have little room to do anything they didn’t get pre-approved for, if they want to get paid).

That’s not actually true. You can discuss with NLNet and change your tasks midway.

• @jarfil@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      34 months ago

You can discuss it, NLnet is under no obligation to approve any changes. Their philosophy is one of “we’d sooner return the funds to the EU rather than waste them on low return projects/tasks”.

I’ve done some research about projects NLnet funded (considering to apply myself), and some of the postmortem read like horror stories. People would ask NLnet to change tasks as a project evolved, NLnet would refuse, meanwhile people would spend their time on what they thought was best for the project, only to later find out NLnet considered some of the tasks unfinished and refused payment, ending up with people effectively carrying a project with extras, only to get paid for half of the original tasks and none of the extras.

If I were to work with NLnet funding, you can bet I would focus strictly on approved tasks and be wary of changing any of them.

• db0
        link
        fedilink
        94 months ago

I am already working with NLNet myself and have been able to add new tasks. I am in the process of asking them to change some of them as well and onboarding more members. Let’s see.

• @jarfil@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          34 months ago

Yeah, I saw that, you’re part of why I considered applying myself, keep up the good work! 👍

From what I’ve read, the final results may not be clear until the end of the funding cycle, but maybe those were just some mismanaged projects.