• @TranscendentalEmpire@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    254 months ago

veterinary offices are the only places I can understand. Everyone there is underpaid, working hard, enduring trauma, and doing it because they love animals.

Boy do I have some news about basically everyone in healthcare…

Pretty much everyone is making less than previous generations, and that’s not even accounting for inflation. I am a specialty provider and the salary for my position hasn’t increased in decades, all while licensing and education costs have skyrocketed.

Healthcare isnt the get rich quick scheme people seem to believe it is. It’s basically hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt for near a decade of school, just for the privilege to basically work for free for several years.

Pretty much any person in healthcare under 40 is there because they love people and want to help them. Nowadays it’s just too difficult and thankless of a job for any other real reason other than empathy. There are plenty of easier and more profitable ways to make money.

The reason you may have experiences that run contrary to this is the same reason you’ve prob had to wait in a room for over an hour. The providers are not the ones in charge of their schedules, and are probably experiencing burnout.

The people making the schedules have no idea how much time is appropriate for the patient care the person is coming in for. All they know is management wants less down time and faster turnaround. So they just pile as many patients as they can schedule, and then utilize the patient’s understandable agitation as a stick to prod the provider along.

• @wellee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      -34 months ago

Did you respond to the wrong person?

“Healthcare isnt the get rich quick scheme people seem to believe it is. It’s basically hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt for near a decade of school, just for the privilege to basically work for free for several years.”

I never said this nor do I think this, I’m so confused lol. OP asked about other services that are similar, and I responded.

• @roguetrick@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        114 months ago

They assumed that when you said “veterinary offices are the only places I can understand” that you meant you cannot understand this happening at doctor’s offices.

• @wellee@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          -14 months ago

Ahhh thanks, that was a flippant remark. I meant “veterinary offices are the only place I can think of in the moment that are similar”.

Still a little bit confused by the jump they made even if it was meant the first way, because I wouldn’t blame the poor wait times on an average staff worker but the hospital owners, drug makers, equipment patents, etc making millions a year and incentivizing lower pay for the average worker and a fast turn around time.