• Nfamwap
      link
      fedilink
      234 months ago

And what about the doctors who are half an hour late for the very first appointment of the day. How is that possible?

• @sheogorath@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        74 months ago

If they’re on call it might just be they just finished working on 4 am in the morning due to some emergency. Anything is possible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Nfamwap
          link
          fedilink
          64 months ago

In A+E, I get it. But a local GP surgery where you HAVE to have an appointment? I’m not buying it.

• @Quetzalcutlass@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Not to mention people would arrive at their 10 minute appointment with a list of 5 completely separate medical issues that they’d been saving up for months. So either you do a full history, examination, diagnosis and treatment plan +/- prescription in 2 minutes for each problem, or the 10 minute appointment just becomes a 20 minute appointment. And then you document everything in your lunch break or after you’re supposed to have gone home 🙃

Here in the US, the last time I went to a doctor’s office they had signs posted saying that those under free healthcare could only discuss a single issue per billed visit. Which sure, saves the medical staff a ton of time and scheduling problems, but also means the most vulnerable (and least able to take time off to visit the doctor) have to prioritize health issues and let minor ones go untreated/undiagnosed until they become major ones.

Healthcare is a mess.

• @Patches@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        164 months ago

How do you even know what a single issue is?

How the heck are you supposed to know if your abdomen hurting, and shitting blood are related? Is the itching related? How about the Hives, or the headaches?

Apparently you’re the doctor now.

• @Churbleyimyam@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      74 months ago

10 minute appointment

5 completely separate medical issues

Something, somewhere, isn’t working in public health.

• @Moneo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Yes public funded health care has many issues, congratulations on being so astute. Where I live you can book longer appointments if you need them, you just have to actually ask for the extra time. People often have let small issues add up before getting them sorted because procrastination, small issues that most people with private healthcare systems could not afford to go to the doctor to have checked out.

Most important of all, when someone feels ill they don’t have to factor a medical bill into the equation when deciding whether or no they should go to the hospital or possibly fucking die.

• @Churbleyimyam@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          74 months ago

I’m in favour of publicly funded healthcare. My family is still with me thanks to the NHS. The problems that exist within it are because of privatisation and neglect by government across ALL areas. If my elderly parents have to fit 6 months worth of bodily problems into a 10 minute consultation with someone who has no accountability then I’m gonna get a bit upset. If you work in the NHS then thanks but more importantly if you work in government then get fucking real about what everyone needs.

• @Moneo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            4 months ago

I can only speak from my experience with the Canadian healthcare system. Getting a family doctor is a huge struggle right now but if you have one you can book as many appointments as you want for free. (and there are always walk-in clinics which are also free)