• @governorkeagan@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    404 months ago

To everyone complaining about DDG, what are you using? I’ve been using DDG for years now and it’s been fine for me. I have also been testing out StartPage.

• @asdfasdfasdf@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Doesn’t it just use Google / Bing under the hood? If those both suck then it wouldn’t improve much, right? Isn’t SearXNG more about privacy?

• @Emerald@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Its more about the customizability. One searxng search can search through 100 search engines if you really wanted it to

• @nutsack@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      94 months ago

Every time I switch to DDG I’m constantly discovering things that I can’t find because they just don’t pop up in the results

• Madlaine
          link
          fedilink
          English
          94 months ago

I assume they mean something like:

Every time I switch to DDG, I tend to discover things that I can’t find on google because they just don’t pop up in googlee results

• @flying_sheep@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          34 months ago

I often just get 0 results on ddg, or I know that I should get a specific one and don’t (e.g. recently I tried to find the painting “in a Roman trattoria” by describing it).

Google always had to come to the rescue

• yeehaw
          link
          fedilink
          English
          24 months ago

Ddg, what is the definition of insanity?

• @pedz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      44 months ago

Are you a native English speaker in an English speaking country looking for English pages?

Because as a French speaker, when I tried DDG a few years ago, it was pretty hard to have some useful results. Like, I was looking for some local results and they were nowhere to be found.

I know it got better, that it’s possible to tweak this, and that I should try it again. But because the first impression wasn’t good for me, it made me dubious about giving it another try.

• @governorkeagan@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        34 months ago

Are you a native English speaker in an English speaking country looking for English pages?

That is correct. I’ve not experienced the issue you’re facing since I don’t often search DDG in my second language but I’ve heard of people having the issue you mentioned.

• bufalo1973
      link
      fedilink
      English
      24 months ago

I don’t complain about DDG (it’s been years since the last time I used it) but I’m using Qwant.