• @jj4211@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I will say I like the occasional movie at the theater near me.

Yes, it sucks that my schedule is bound by their showtimes, but hey, at least it means I’m unplugged and actually “present” for the movie.

The theater has online ticket sales where you pick your seat, you come in sit down in that fairly nice power recliner, wait staff come to take your order and bring decent food, and you can get more at will. The bathrooms are all individual private rooms, and the whole experience has a lot of cinaphile touch, including generally thoughtful “preshow” content. Like for a Disney movie there was lots of history of Disney and classic shorts. For a movie based on a 90s anime they rolled 90s era anime trailers for all sorts of content.

I do see at least some theaters have upped their game and offer a rather premium experience compared to “wait in line, wait in line again for crappy concessions, then walk on sticky floor to hopefully find a well placed seat and then fold it down and just live with it because how Else were you going to see this movie?”

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod
      link
      fedilink
      English
      23 months ago

I wouldn’t mind renting an entire small room with a good TV and sound system to watch things, especially with friends, and doubly especially if it had some game consoles and a wait staff.

Something a bit like a Japanese karaoke bar, where you rent a room for a while and can order drinks and food on a tablet. You get to hang out in a nice space with people you’ve invited, instead one big room full of shudder the general public.