• mozz
    link
    fedilink
    24 months ago

This direct contradiction of clearly articulated administration policy is possible because because of the bank’s nominal independence. It makes its own decisions and evaluates its own deals—it’s supposed to conduct transactions that support the American economy, free from political interference.

I see you have taken to heart my advice about making more subtle and “what? it’s technically true”-defensible postings, that through the phrasing of their headline still feed the narrative that Biden’s bad for the climate even though he pushed through a climate bill that’s predicted to reduce US emissions by 40% in the next 6 years, and this particular financing deal is only tangentially related to him. (In the article it says the bank is actually forbidden by law from choosing deals to finance or not based on which industry they relate to.)

• mozz
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        4 months ago

A 40% reduction in emissions and continued American democracy?

• @Sanctus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          64 months ago

But I mean, the man isn’t 100% on what I want. So obviously we have to abstain, causing the end of democracy in this shit system.

• @june@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            44 months ago

Name a reasonable (see: electable) alternative who is

1. better on Israel
            2. better for the economy
            3. can beat trump

Until you can you should probably stfu because if you think it’s better to see Biden lose to trump over Israel, you’re going to be pretty damn disappointed when trump puts boots on the ground to help Israel.

• I’m tired of seeing this worn out point. What exactly would you propose he do that is:

1. Actually possible for him to do

2. Not going to make the situation worse

3. Not something he is already doing

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like what Israel is doing either but the US has painted themselves into a corner long before the Biden admin. We can’t stop supporting Israel without basically ceding control of the region to Iran, and I guarantee Iran will do shit that will make Israel look like Mr. Rogers by comparison.

I’m not saying there’s nothing he could be doing better, but I don’t see any productive discussion from the people calling him Genocide Joe.

And all that aside, he’s still by far the preferable alternative to Don Cheeto who would likely actually be a genocide enabler.

• @EdibleFriend@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

I mean… I don’t see eye to eye with the man on certain things either but… Do you think Trump is going to do better when it comes to fossil fuels? He’s going to fight for the environment harder?

• Sybil
          link
          fedilink
          64 months ago

nobody is saying you should vote for Trump either

• Sybil
              link
              fedilink
              24 months ago

I expect to have at least four names on my ballot. you can choose from any of them.

link
                fedilink
                34 months ago

Yes a third party candidate winning would be nice. But do you think this election, when we risk having Trump again, is the year to try to divide the votes like that? When, we both know, they’re zero chance in hell of a third party candidate winning anytime soon?

Maybe down the road we’ll get there. But right now the only actual choices are Trump and Biden. That’s just the world we live in. I’m not happy with it either, just like I wasn’t happy with having to pick Clinton or Trump.

• Sybil
                  link
                  fedilink
                  24 months ago

i didn’t vote for biden in 2012 or 2020. i won’t be doing it this year. if you’re worried about dividing the vote, you should help me decide whether we’re voting for jill stein or cornel west.

link
                    fedilink
                    14 months ago

I’m sorry but you live in a land of delusion. That’s just not happening this time. We’re not there yet. And you posting slightly snarky comments on a very tiny website like this isn’t what’s going to turn the tide and turn this into a third party country.

We only have two options. I’m not happy with it either but that’s where we are.

• @proper@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      -14 months ago

Thank you! yours is a noble crusade keeping up with these jokers. I’ve also notice there are 3 bad-actor posters, and coincidentally every comment of descent gets their 3 downvotes.

• mozz
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

It’s a few more than 3 🙂

Pro tip, votes on Lemmy (or any federated app) are not at all private