Funny if true.

• @Daz@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    83 months ago

Wouldn’t they just use a VPN? I know they’re technically illegal in China but from what I’ve heard lots of people still use them regularly.

• Ademir
      link
      fedilink
      103 months ago

VPNs are not illegal in China. And one can use it to circumvent any restrictions.

• @Socsa@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Non-approved VPNs used to circumvent the great wall are absolutely illegal, though largely tolerated (and observed), but the authorities can and have used them as an excuse to bring people in.

Source: have actual been to China and played the whole “which VPN will work on which network” game many times.

• Buelldozer
      link
      fedilink
      63 months ago

I feel like I should say that a VPN isn’t a magic bullet. Even if its configured correctly to totally obfuscate the data and the final endpoint of the traffic it’s still blatantly obvious that a VPN is in use. Given that the CCP monitors all of this stuff it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that if you run a VPN long or often enough without providing stating why that it’ll either end up blocked or you’ll end up in trouble.

• kbal
      link
      fedilink
      43 months ago

I’m sure lots of people do, it’s a big country. But for the vast majority I imagine that the risk of getting in trouble for it, plus the risk of the one you paid for getting successfully blocked, plus the difficulty of finding out which ones are allowed to operate only because they share all your data with the authorities, plus the cost, plus the usual difficulties in finding a good vpn outweigh any desire to communicate freely with foreigners.