Chris Gloninger wove the reality of global heating into his forecasts in the conservative heartland of Iowa. Not everyone was receptive.

• Puppy
    link
    fedilink
    251 year ago

It’s really weird how in the rest of the world, climate change is an accepted scientific fact. We ain’t doing much about it, that’s true but at least we aren’t straight up denying it like some Americans… what is it with the US always having the dumbest of the dumb? Or maybe they are just super loud?

Idk it’s weird.

• @Mr_Blott@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Also a country full of people who own obnoxious, selfish, vain gas guzzlers, who actively ridicule anyone trying to drive a sensible car, and cancel out all the effort the rest of us are at least trying to do

• Chaotic Entropy
      link
      fedilink
      91 year ago

People who are willing to put ethics to the side are able to making a lot money in the US and nothing speaks louder than money.

• @Thekingoflorda@lemmy.worldM
      link
      fedilink
      71 year ago

That’s not true, all countries of the world have groups / politcal parties that deny science. It’s the “easy” way, and some people prefer to believe in the easy way, instead of reasonably concluding that reality is not easy.

• Puppy
        link
        fedilink
        01 year ago

At least in Canada and most of the European countries, these people are mocked out of public space. Only in the US do they have a microphone and that’s the point I’m bringing. I know there are stupid people in every country. But why are they taken seriously in the US and not the other countries?

• @Cosmonauticus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          11 year ago

Yeah all those massive anti-vaccine protests in Canada and Europe weren’t denying science. And if they were they were just Americans on vacation

• Puppy
            link
            fedilink
            11 year ago

200 people from Alberta isn’t what I would be considering “massive” my dude lol

We aren’t numerous but we still are 38 million people 😅

• crowsby
      link
      fedilink
      61 year ago

what is it with the US always having the dumbest of the dumb?

I would gently suggest that Reddit-style hot takes might be better suited remaining on Reddit.

As far as the actual data goes, the Pew Research organization did a survey on attitudes toward climate change by country back in 2019. The main takeaways:

• Yep, the US lags behind most of Europe in regards to attitudes around climate change. However the disparity is more of shades of gray rather than the dramatic binary situation you described. There are deniers in every single country listed, and even Germany reported a full 27% of their population not considering climate change a serious threat. Sweden had 30%

• On a longitudinal level, concerns about climate change have increased everywhere, including the US. Between 2013 & 2018, the proportion of US respondents who considered climate change a major threat increased 20%.

• Unsurprisingly, there’s a major partisan gap in the US. 83% of left-leaning respondents considered it a major threat, whereas only 27% of right-leaning ones did.

• @lolcatnip@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        11 year ago

Does any other country have one if its two biggest political parties officially denying that climate change is real?

• @Wanderer@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        01 year ago

It’s not far off the UK surprisingly.

From what I gather from online it is very different though. For example our conservative party was the first government in the world to talk publicly about climate change. The view hasn’t really changed (Boris tried to ride the wave of anti global warming for a bit before turning and trying to take credit for renewables). Also our carbon taxes are way higher. In the UK party wise it’s more of a how much are we going to do about climate change.

I like your post but it’s missing nuance I believe. Not that is easily quantifiable.

• AngrilyEatingMuffins
      link
      fedilink
      51 year ago

They’re super loud and have the backing of loud megaphones in industry and media, same as y’all. I wouldn’t be surprised if at this point the numbers were similar.