• Egon [they/them]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 months ago

There’s wheelchair accessible bikes, but you are actually correct. Good urbanism requires us to take into account not just those who conform to society, but all it’s people. Interestingly an inclusive and accommodating city is also an economically strong one - in the long run more productive potential is freed and less resources are spent on patch-fixing a broken structure (this isn’t why its good to do, but it’s a nice argument to have when you’re talking to people who are afraid that wed be making a better world for no reason other being good people).

This is your reminder to read Invisible Women by Criado Perez

• Kuori [she/her]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      23 months ago

There’s wheelchair accessible bikes

oh damn that’s cool as hell. as a general statement i’m not anti-bike or anything, i am just annoyed at how little care some people here have for those who are less able than they are

Good urbanism requires us to take into account not just those who conform to society, but all it’s people

100% agreed, and i think our rhetoric should reflect that inclusiveness rather than just defaulting to “can’t do it? fuck you”

• Egon [they/them]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        23 months ago

Yeah the bikes are super cool, there’s lots of different ones too. I once got overtaken by a guy who pedalled with his arms, made me feel like a scrub.

It is a big issue when we don’t plan for those that don’t fit into our ideal of a “normal” person, because when we default to that we default to planning for men - and really planning for no one.
        If you’re interested you should look up “gendermainstreaming”. Vienna has a very good manual on it.

I think people here get defensive about bikes because they’re used to arguing against carbrained folks all the time. It should also be noted a city designed for bikes and walkability will be easier to travel in for those who have trouble walking, than a city designed for cars, even if concessions aren’t made.