Over the last two months, I developed wanderer. It is a self-hosted alternative to sites like alltrails.com or in other words a self-hosted trail database. It started out more as a small hobby project to teach myself some new technologies but in the end, I decided to develop it into a fully-fledged application.

Core Features:

• Manage your trails
  • Extensive map integration and visualization
  • Share trails with other people and explore theirs
  • Advanced filter and search functionality
  • Create custom lists to organize your trails further
  • Chique design with a dark and light theme
  • Fully mobile compatible

wanderer is completely open-source. You can find the GitHub repo here: https://github.com/Flomp/wanderer

wanderer is still under active development so if you encounter any bugs/errors or have suggestions please let me know here or open an issue on GitHub.

• @helenslunch@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    133 months ago

Question: why would I want to self-host this to use while I’m in the woods with no service, as opposed to an app on my device?

• @get_flomped@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      443 months ago

I think you might misunderstand what wanderer does. It is not a maps service like Open Street Maps. It’s simply a database in which you can store your GPS tracks. So the workflow would look like this: you are in the woods and record your track (e.g. with osmand) -> you store your track in GPX format -> you upload your track (and any additional info like a description or photos) to wanderer -> before your next adventure you check wanderer to decide what you want to do

• @helenslunch@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        53 months ago

You compared the service to AllTrails, which is a trail exploration and planning app. Like, walk down the trail and follow the map for navigation.

Can you log your trips without an active data connection?

• @get_flomped@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          113 months ago

Logging trips offline requires background location services. This does not work for a simple website. You would need to program an app for that. While this is a plan somewhere down the line, it’s still far away. So currently I would recommend relying on an external app to log your trip and import afterwards.

• yeehaw
        link
        fedilink
        English
        23 months ago

I have some tracks from dirt biking that I sometimes port into Google earth. Might have to give this thing a whirl.

• @Hawk@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      73 months ago

To plan, organize or review routes.

This seems more like Garmin Basecamp, it’s not supposed to be used on the routes themselves I’m guessing.