Chris Gloninger wove the reality of global heating into his forecasts in the conservative heartland of Iowa. Not everyone was receptive.

• @Trollmittens@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    1191 year ago

As a non American it is always wild to hear such strangely internatilised concepts of how people see the world. This guy received emails saying it was a “liberal conspiracy theory on the weather”, calling climate change a “Biden hoax”. Does someone like that have no concept that this is an issue for the rest of us outside the USA? (Aka the majority of the world). And that it existed for prior administrations too!

• lazynooblet
      link
      fedilink
      391 year ago

I don’t think people that spout death threats on climate change do much thinking at all.

• @Nobody@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      311 year ago

Republicans have been actively attacking and undermining American schools for decades. These depleted schools have produced legions of people who can’t discern truth from falsity and have absolutely no curiosity about the rest of the world. Facebook and the television tell them liberals are bad and the cause of all their problems. They don’t question it.

• @algalorp@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        31 year ago

Yep. An authoritarian upbringing leads to a hierarchical belief system. Changing that requires addressing trauma that they avoided their entire lives, recreating their entire world view, and admitting they were wrong. Such a giant ask for these types of people unfortunately.

• @WarmSoda@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I want to know the mushbrain that gave you the downvote.

Why did you do it? What part of that comment did you not agree with, how is it wrong?

• @zeppo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      101 year ago

People like this have basically no concept of the rest of the world at all. I have talked to many people who don’t understand there is a difference between China and Japan, and think Africa is a country. And they don’t care.

Most likely this person also never thinks about states in the US more than one state away from theirs. When I moved to New England as a kid I had teachers think I was from a foreign country because I moved from New Mexico… I’d have to explain “it’s the state between Arizona and Texas”, and then people would just look confused.

So, no news from the rest of the world filters into their brain at all.

• @CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      81 year ago

These are the same people who called COVID a hoax perpetrated by Democrats even though it started in China and ravaged the entire planet. They’re insane and deluded from consuming too much propaganda.

• @HRDS_654@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      21 year ago

The simple answer is no. To them other countries may as well be a conspiracy; or alternatively they just don’t think beyond their own sphere of influence. Basically if they can’t see it it’s not real.

• @tallwookie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      11 year ago

for many Americans, there’s America and not-America, and that’s basically it. many of us are very insular - they may be aware of China, Russia, etc but don’t really think about them on a daily basis. much is the same for climate science, etc