• @lemmywinks
    link
    -253 months ago

Christians and religious people in general make up a substantial portion of charitable work around the work. So I think that easily disproves your claim that they cause nothing but pain.

Really your statement just comes across as childish and uninformed probably because of the large amount of propaganda you consume from places like this.

Why shouldn’t you hate 55%+ of the world? Do you really believe more than half the people in the world contribute nothing but pain?

Also why didn’t you include Jews? They’re the root of Abrahamic religion and currently the “Jewish homeland” is engaging in genocide.

It’s just silly but also worrying that you could have such a skewed view of reality.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      3 months ago

I also feel the same about Jews. There aren’t very many religious beliefs I am tolerant of.

Charity and religion have nothing to do with each other btw lol. People can be charitable without being religious.

Christians, for example, are only “charitable” because they are trying to recruit members. Do you have any idea how much wealth is sitting at the top of the catholic church hierarchy?

• @rab@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          3 months ago

You already said it yourself, the majority of the world is religious. The two things aren’t correlated though.

Now google “residential schools” or “the crusades” for example lol

• @lemmywinks
            link
            -203 months ago

Apparently you didn’t read any of the hundreds of studies mentioned there showing religious people are more charitable.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              3 months ago

Yeah to recruit members, it’s just a business.

Ever been to eastern Europe and visited the fancy gold plated cathedrals? Notice who is driving the new Mercedes s550 parked in the parking lot, and notice what the church attendees are driving. Charitable my ass.

• @lemmywinks
                link
                -113 months ago

You have anecdotal claims. They don’t rise to the level of proof that the studies I mentioned do. Your claim is easily proven false, it doesn’t matter if you can’t accept that.

• @exanime@lemmy.today
                  link
                  fedilink
                  93 months ago

You have anecdotal claims. They don’t rise to the level of proof that the studies I mentioned do.

What studies? You posted a Google search and have made about a dozen claims with no backing in his thread alone

• @cosmicrookie@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    33 months ago

My dude… you are debating with an account that is less than 1 day old and has less than 20 comments (most of which are with you).

Nothing good will come out of this when they need a burner account to state their beliefs

• @rab@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  edit-2
                  3 months ago

Well, go give poland a visit, it’s not the watered down version of christianity that americans are subjected to. They literally run the entire country. That’s what happens when you let religion take over.

I’m not downvoting you btw, it’s kind of refreshing speaking to a religious person on lemmy haha

• @pop@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              63 months ago

my brother in hell, if I believed in religion, and my religion says giving some amount to it or someone else gets me express pass to heaven, i’d be donating like crazy too. I’d be donating more if I know I’ve done horrible things and need more “blessing.”

The charity doesn’t negate the bad things religion has done.

• @gdog05@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            73 months ago

If Christians didn’t hamstring non -Christian groups and government services at every turn, there would be no need for these charities and/or the most popular charities would not be the ones feeding bibles to starving people.

• @cosmicrookie@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              53 months ago

I dont mind Christians being charitable. I do oppose them using it to recruits or to pressure people in need to listen to their preachings. That’s not charity that is exploitation. True charity wants nothing in return.

• @ZILtoid1991@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      63 months ago

Religious charity work is a recruitment tactic. It exploits the vulnerable, converts them into religious people and voters. And by voting for the right, they’ll contribute to the rotting of the very same social services that churches exploit.

I work as a desk clerk in a Hungarian social institution, and the people that should be responsible for mental health instead more preoccupied with converting people to some form of christianity, all while we supposed to be “secular” on paper.

Religion and austerity are good friends.