• @rab@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    03 months ago

Probably not possible to accurately know. Death tolls from all major offenders in the millions

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      -83 months ago

Yeah exactly. If you look at the top bad guys of last century, the names that will roll into your head should be; stalin, mao, hitler, pol pot. And what you will notice as none of those guys had a paticular religion and were maybe even anti religion. So the idea that religion is the thing that causes the harm doesnt make any sense.

• @EndlessApollo@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            23 months ago

Hey look, Christians conveniently claiming that Christians they don’t like aren’t really Christian!

I really need to learn some slurs for Christians and start using them more

• @Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            13 months ago

In the private Tabletalk interviews Hitler talked about his deep Christian beliefs, which he had always talked about publicly. He wanted to create a German National Christian church in the same model that England has its own national Christian Church with the King as the head. (Anglicans).

If Hitler wasn’t Christian, then British Anglicans (the majority of all Christians in Britain and North Ireland) aren’t Christian either.

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              13 months ago

If he wanted to create a national “church” then it would have been a church to use as a tool/organization, and he was still not a christian. Which would still be the attempted destruction of the church.

link
                fedilink
                13 months ago

So the Church of England, that is the Anglican church aren’t Christian?

George H Bush wasn’t Christian because he was Anglican?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_affiliations_of_presidents_of_the_United_States

And here is Martin Luther, the founder of Protestism:

“burn down Jewish synagogues and schools and warn people against them”

“to refuse to let Jews own houses among Christians”

“to give young, strong Jews flail, axe, spade, and spindle, and let them earn their bread in the sweat of their brow”

“We are at fault for not killing them.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jews_and_Their_Lies

Hitler was only doing what Martin Luther said needed to be done.

In your opinion, which branch of Christianity is actually Christian? Orthodox?

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  13 months ago

Apples and oranges. Hitler hated christians and was going to destory the church, making a state run church is not christian.

link
                    fedilink
                    13 months ago

Building a German National Church so that German Christians would be free to practice their faith outside of foreign control is the opposite of destroying the church. Henry VIII didn’t destroy the church.

Anglicans exist. George Bush Senior is a Christian.

Hitler was following the teachings of Martin Luther, the founder of Protestism.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        63 months ago

Christianity has killed way more than those individuals could ever dream of

• @rab@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            63 months ago

What about two commandments for cheating on your wife? A greater sin than murder lol

It only exists to control people

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              -83 months ago

I will tell you this once because I feel like I am going to waste my time, but maybe it will stick. Christianity has a bunch of rules, and it has nothing to do with controlling people, it has to do with the best functioning society and what is actually good for people. It is the reason why western civilization has done so well for so many centuries. Things like cheating on your wife is bad for society and for the individuals, that is why it is prohibited. My comment is an outside observation of what the religion of christianity does, other religions have different features.

• @Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
                link
                fedilink
                English
                53 months ago

Christianity has a bunch of rules, and it has nothing to do with controlling people,

The rules of Christianity aren’t written in the Bible.

• @Rivalarrival@lemmy.today
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    43 months ago

Yeah, that was bait that you shouldn’t have taken.

Now I can point to the peculiar rules of every Christian sect and ask whether those rules are Christian commandments, or Clergy controls.

• @TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                33 months ago

That’s why you’re not allowed to eat shrimp or wear cotton polyester blends. It’s also why you can beat your slaves but not kill them. It also caused the crusades, Salem witch trials, justified slavery in the US, justified the prohibition against interracial marriage, started the KKK, actively works to have women killed if they have a non viable fetus, actively works to kill homosexuals who won’t stay in the closet, burns books, is currently committing genocide in Central Africa, molests little boys, caused the Bosnian Genocide, preaches “love thy neighbor” while lynching folks, celebrates when a trans person is shot, sends people to conversion camps that literally tortures them, molests even more kids, blames weather events on gay people, and comes to my fucking house, right to my fucking door, to try to tell me that I need to accept Yeshua ben Yosef or their magic fairy that they don’t have any real evidence of is going to spank me.

I don’t need that kind of hate to tell me not to go around murdering people. I already don’t do that. I don’t need it to tell me not to rape. The Bible says that’s cool as long as I pay her dad but I’ll go a step further and just not rape anyone. I certainly don’t need that jackass Paul telling me anything because he didn’t teach the same thing Yeshua ben Yosef taught, but there’s a whole shit pile of his rules and regulations in the New Testament. And if I wanted a drugged out weirdo telling me about the end times I’d go listen to Crazy Tommy talk about his vision of the Neverending Story while he’s dropping acid.

Practice your religion. If it keeps you from raping and killing then I’m all for it. But practice it in your closet, not on the digital street corner for all to see. Because if you do that then you already have your reward.

• @CableMonster@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  13 months ago

This is just a series of strawmen or ignorance to the subject. Why do you take time to write comments like these when they dont mean anything?