I know, I know: “grotesque”

• themeatbridge
    link
    fedilink
    123 months ago

It’s just another trade being eliminated by cheap manufacturing. Anyone with a 3D printer could download a gargoyle design, create an injection mold, and fill it with a fiber-plastic that resembles stone at a distance. While it requires talent and investment upfront, you could manufacture thousands of gargoyles in the time it takes a stonemason to make one by hand. It could be lighter, more detailed, and cheaper. And if you were to create market demand, you’ll find 100 knockoff manufacturers coming out of countries without labor laws or IP protections.

• @SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      83 months ago

Those cheap ones are available in cementious materials, they’d be fine for new build stuff, but that wouldn’t fly with historic buildings, where it’s often government mandate that things are replaced like for like. I work in conservation, and when we pull a stone, the replacement is often sourced from the same quarry (if possible the same vein) as the original. Mortar matching is also a thing, where a sample is sent into the lab, and the exact same mixture is used, right down to the bits of shell from the same beach if possible.
      Also those cheap ones really don’t have the lasting power of actual stone.

• BarqsHasBite
      link
      fedilink
      English
      23 months ago

Imho, do it. We need a little more decorative element in our buildings. Brutalism is not good.

• themeatbridge
        link
        fedilink
        03 months ago

I’ll buy one, but I’m not going to make them. I barely have time to get the dishes done and keep up with laundry.