• @jaschen@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    53 months ago

Ya, I also run my own and use a dedicated IP and my emails regularly get flagged as spam or in some cases blocked entirely.

The email landscape is complicated and constantly changing. Unless you know exactly what you’re doing, I honestly don’t recommend running your own.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet
      link
      fedilink
      English
      13 months ago

You need to get your email into some big data databases. It’s fucking bullshit, but until your address is tracked by all the snooping bullshit companies, a lot of services will reject it. They run checks with services like Informatica to verify if it’s a valid email or not, and if they’ve never seen your address before, they’ll mark it as fake. That was the hardest part of using my own email server at the beginning, getting all these asshole spy networks to recognize me.

• @jaschen@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        13 months ago

I have had my dedicated IP and server for 7 years now. It still gets flagged as spam, but not blocked. If I knew it was this annoying, I would have never done all this work.

• @jaschen@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            23 months ago

I attempted and I don’t think I did it correctly. I don’t use it as my primary email anymore since I don’t do much contracting work anymore.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet
              link
              fedilink
              English
              13 months ago

I’ve just used HostGator email services set up through cpanel for about 7 years now and the only issues I had were forms not accepting the email addresses at first because they were unknown emails and domains. Maybe consider migrating to a known service to resolve your issues. I don’t even pay them for it, it just came free with my shared hosting package which is like $10 per month.

• @jaschen@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                23 months ago

Ahhh, I’m actually running it on my home server. So that could be why it’s more difficult.