• 🦄🦄🦄
    link
    fedilink
    English
    03 months ago

There is no discussion. This is going to happen again and again and people will suffer and die. Not as much and numerous as the exploited animals, but still too much.

• @strawberrysocial@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -23 months ago

I mean, people suffer and die from getting sick from eating produce, or from wheat or rice. I’m sure other non-animal foods too. Wasn’t there deaths recently from eating cantaloupe… and we get salmonella from wheat products… and rice has that bacteria or something that can make you sick even if you cook it properly… There’s no escaping food making us sick, even if we all went vegan.

• @WldFyre@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        73 months ago

The vast majority of those are caused by runoff contamination from animal agriculture, not from eating plants in general.

link
          fedilink
          English
          -33 months ago

Even if you don’t include farm workers urinating and defecating in the fields, or contamination from animal agriculture (a lot of North American farms don’t farm animals along side their crops anymore) A lot of it is naturally on the plants or the grains. There’s bacteria and viruses everywhere. I’m saying eliminating meat from your diet isn’t going to stop us all getting sick. Birds, rodents, and bats and insects all still shit on our produce.

• 🦄🦄🦄
        link
        fedilink
        English
        23 months ago

We were talking about diseases and pandemics. Which produce created a pandemic?

link
          fedilink
          English
          -33 months ago

You were acting like the problem was eating meat, I was simply pointing out that wouldn’t stop us getting sick from the food we eat.

• @Vegoon@feddit.deOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            43 months ago

So it would reduce the risk of antibiotic resistant diseases, the risk of the next zoonosis that turns into pandemic, the certainty that climate change will destroy agriculture, the risk of heart diseases and cancer but it will not eliminate the chance of a stomach flue so it is not worth perusing?