Is this some sort of remnant of evangelical puritan protestant ideology?

I don’t understaun this.

If you ask me, it’d make as much sense as Orthodox and Christians… or Shia and Muslim…

I know not all Christians are Catholics but for feck’s sake…

They’re all Christians to me…

Edit:

It’s a U.S thing but this is the sort of things I hear…

https://www.gotquestions.org/Catholic-Christian.html

I am a Catholic. Why should I consider becoming a Christian?

I now know more distinctions (apparently Catholicism requires duty and salvation is process, unlike Protestantism?) but I still think they’re of a similar branch (Christianity) so I just wonder the social factor

• @IonAddis@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    93 months ago

I was raised Catholic in a deeply Evengelical town. The little girls were saying out of the blue that I wasn’t Christian. I was like 8, they were like 6. They were absolutely parroting what their parents said, there’s no way the little girls I played with daily came up with that shit on their own, and since then I’ve noticed that’s one of the “protestant culture” things that gets passed around in those circles and occasionally escapes. That Catholics aren’t Christian because saints or whatever.

They get all wound up about the “pagan” elements of Catholicism then turn around and worship their dollar bill golden idols. Hypocrites!

But basically, Catholics get crapped on when there’s no other minority around and they are tired of talking about Jewish folks.

I don’t practice, I’m atheist, but in the USA from a culture perspective Catholics aren’t in the WASP good old boy group, even if you are otherwise white. And WASP types are happy to let you know it, although its less common than it was a few decades back.

Biden being Catholic, and JFK before him, is basically a dog whistle to certain rightwing groups to make them lose their shit, it’s just less obvious than, say, Obama being black esp if you don’t have a family background that would expose you to that stuff.

• davel [he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      3 months ago

I’m aware of the history, but didn’t know it still lingered. Maybe it’s a regional thing. I haven’t run into this in the metropolitan Northeast or metropolitan West Coast regions. But also I’ve been atheist my whole life, so the topic has seldom come up.

• NaN
        link
        fedilink
        English
        33 months ago

This is alive and well in west coast evangelical culture.

• @ThisIsNotHim@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        23 months ago

I’ve run into it when interacting with folks who grew up in the south. It seems moderately common there. With folks who grew up in the northeast, I haven’t seen this be a thing.