Is this some sort of remnant of evangelical puritan protestant ideology?

I don’t understaun this.

If you ask me, it’d make as much sense as Orthodox and Christians… or Shia and Muslim…

I know not all Christians are Catholics but for feck’s sake…

They’re all Christians to me…

Edit:

It’s a U.S thing but this is the sort of things I hear…

https://www.gotquestions.org/Catholic-Christian.html

I am a Catholic. Why should I consider becoming a Christian?

I now know more distinctions (apparently Catholicism requires duty and salvation is process, unlike Protestantism?) but I still think they’re of a similar branch (Christianity) so I just wonder the social factor

• @gnuhaut@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

All the big (and probably small) schisms happened primarily for political reasons (i.e. material interests, power struggles). It’s just that lots of other issues (including small differences) tend to align themselves along the same lines, because I guess that helps with the polarization. Doesn’t mean this “narcissism of small differences” doesn’t exist, just that it’s not the cause, but rather part of the dynamic.

• @thechadwick@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      23 months ago

With all due respect, this is not reflective of the protestant revival movement in the US in the 1800s. The second awakening was absolutely a bunch of rival interpretations of the word claiming they were right b/c (insert reason here).

I probably should have been more specific in my original reply but when we’re taking about US “Catholics aren’t Christians” that’s 100 percent the origin of the trope. I can’t speak to the Irish version but I’d challenge anyone about it in the US. That’s why we needed an Ecumenism movement in the first place after all.