Welcome to the RD thread!

This is a place for casual random chat and discussion.

A reminder for everyone to always follow the community rules and observe the Code of Conduct.

Mobile apps:

Quick tips:

Footnotes:

• Daily artwork is “Steal Life” by Antipas Delotavo
  • Report inappropriate comments and violators
  • Message the moderation team for any issues
  • tahann
    link
    English
    31 year ago

Feeling ko di iaaddress ng movie yung excessive consumerism associated with Barbie. Baka parang SATC yung take nila, na yung fashion and accessories ay kailangan para sa self-actualization, na totoo naman, kaso dapat ibalanse sa climate change issues and how the fashion industry is a contributor to the problem.

I’m so demanding, I know. 😔 Naniniwala kasi ako sa kasabihang, “with great power comes great expectations.” So nag expect ang lola mo.

• decadentrebelM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Knowing Gerwig, those themes might make it to the movie. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t either since hindi papayag Mattel na ilicense movie nila just to have their company criticized.

• tahann
        link
        English
        11 year ago

I don’t mind spoilers. Kapag napanood mo na, please lemmy know if I’ll be disappointed or not.

• @starscar12@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          21 year ago

Here’s Phil Dy’s review of Barbie on Letterboxd.

An excerpt of the review

Here is a movie that asks what it means to be human, filtering that question through the experiences of a doll living in a fantasy world built on the fantasy ideal represented by Barbie: a world of unrealistically beautiful women who can be anything. More specifically, it asks what it means to be a woman, bursting that fantasy ideal as it shuttles off its main character into our world, and discovers that what she thought she represented didn’t seem to mean a whole lot in a world mired in patriarchy.

• tahann
            link
            English
            11 year ago

Thanks. I expected that naman, given it’s Gerwig. At expected ko din na may commentary sa capitalism, given the characters in suits.

I just want more 😔