• justhach
    link
    fedilink
    English
    301 year ago

How much sedentary time we spend in front of screens. We already know it is ruining our eyes and our sleep cycles.

• @scrotumnipples@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      141 year ago

I think it depends more on what you’re doing on those screens. I regularly download books from my local library to read on my phone. People used to read paper books, newspapers, and magazines all the time. Same shit, different means of consumption.

• @Shikadi@wirebase.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 year ago

I don’t think we know it’s ruining our eyes, and screen usage probably doesn’t affect circadian rhythms unless it’s near bed time. But we do know sitting around all day increases your mortality quite a bit.

Also, blue light filter glasses are a total scam.

• justhach
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Screen time is definitely having a measureable impact on our ocular health

Over time, staring too long at screens can change the structure of the eyeball and lead to atrophy of the glands that keep it moist. Research is now pointing to excessive screen time for the rise in eye disorders, such as dry eye and myopia, which are becoming more common and affect more young people.

[…]

While myopia or nearsightedness has a genetic component, it has been shown to progress faster in people who overuse screens. Human eyes can also become chronically dry if the meibomian glands — a sebaceous gland that helps create protective tear film — become obstructed or atrophy. Meibomian glands secrete meibum, which is a specialized substance containing lipids that protects the eye surface.

It’s different than the watery tears that flush the eye. Without a healthy tear film, eyes become dry, sensitive to light and irritated. Research has linked staring at digital devices for long periods without proper blinking to degraded gland function, even in some children.

• @Shikadi@wirebase.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          11 year ago

I stand corrected on screens not being bad for eye health, although I would still argue “ruining our eyes” is a bit of an exaggeration.