• @pearsaltchocolatebar
      link
      English
      73 months ago

Eugenics isn’t inherently bad, but humans suck and will make it bad.

• @Maggoty@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      3 months ago

No. Eugenics is race theory as much as it’s anything scientific. It was about making sure the “correct” races had children. I don’t know what the name for this is in science but Eugenics isn’t about making kids healthier, it’s about making them whiter.

• @Patches@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        3 months ago

No that’s literally what it means:

The practice or advocacy of controlled selective breeding of human populations (as by sterilization) to improve the populations’ genetic composition

Science that deals with the improvement of inherited qualities of a race or breed and especially of human beings

The practice or advocacy of controlled selective breeding of human populations (as by sterilization) to improve the populations’ genetic composition

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eugenics

• @starman2112@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          103 months ago

But this isn’t selective breeding, unless you twist the definition to the point where it means something wholly different. If I understand right, this is just screening embryos for potential health problems.

• @Maggoty@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              33 months ago

Genetic screening has been around for awhile now. The scam here (if there is one) is them claiming this is new. Maybe they have a better screening, but this is not Theranos.

The theory of eugenics is specific to racist ideology. They sterilized minorities so they couldn’t have children because they wanted more white people. That’s why it says “inherited qualities of a race, especially of human beings” it is specifically calling race out as separate from the idea of all humans.

• @starman2112@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              3 months ago

Closest, but the method used by eugenics is specifically selective breeding, and is specifically about races or breeds even when you twist the definition like you did here.

• @sepulcher@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              03 months ago

You specifically left out the “a science” part, which is also part of the “kids’” definition for eugenics in your source.

eugenics noun eu·​gen·​ics yu̇-ˈjen-iks : a science that deals with the improvement of inherited qualities of a race or breed and especially of human beings

Removing the “a” from the beginning completely changes the meaning of the word, which is why you did it.

Shame.

• billwashere
          link
          fedilink
          English
          93 months ago

If this is indeed like GATTACA selecting specific embryos after fertilization is not really selective breeding. Selective breeding is picking the parents. This is picking the children. You could do both but it didn’t seem like that is what was happening. I could still see this likely leading to problems genetically not dissimilar to problems with inbreeding. Genetic diversity requires the randomness of life to be useful long term.

• @Maggoty@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Did you miss where they do that by sterilization? And qualities of a race or breed?

Do you speak English? Is this a translation error?

Edit to add-

And you present it like there’s multiple definitions. There is not. This is Merriam’s entry-

the practice or advocacy of controlled selective breeding of human populations (as by sterilization) to improve the populations’ genetic composition

The second one is for kids. The follow on context under the actual definition also makes it very clear that this was selective breeding by sterilization, closely related to white supremacy ideology.

• @sepulcher@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -13 months ago

You specifically left out the “a science” part, which is also part of the “kids’” definition for eugenics.

eugenics noun eu·​gen·​ics yu̇-ˈjen-iks : a science that deals with the improvement of inherited qualities of a race or breed and especially of human beings

Removing the “a” from the beginning completely changes the meaning of the word, which is why you did it.

Shame.

• @kurcatovium@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            33 months ago

I’m not native speaker so please excuse my stupid question. How does the “a” change the meaning? My language doesn’t even have articles so I have troubles with using them or understanding such nuances.