Old news that I just happened upon. Open Collective manages donations for many open source projects. Their reasons for discontinuing crypto supports are all problems that XMR fixes.

So frustrating when people throw the baby out with the bath water here. Imagine Henry Ford with his Model-T.

You have to inflate the tires? You have to keep filling it with gas all the time? Only 10MPH? Yeah no thanks, we’re banning your “auto mobile” project, this would never work.

This isn’t even a good metaphor considering XMR already exists as a solution.

• @delirious_owl
    link
    13 months ago

Wut? They stopped accepting crypto. So you have a link at OC that says otherwise?

• @delirious_owl
        link
        13 months ago

How do you get them if not through contributions tho?

• @rafael_xmr@monero.town
          link
          fedilink
          English
          13 months ago

it was explained in the blog post I shared, but Ratatui’s share come from this: https://www.drips.network/app/drip-lists/34625983682950977210847096367816372822461201185275535522726531049130 so the Radicle project decided to split a certain value between all dependencies the project uses, and “Drips” is an ethereum based contract that is supposed to distribute a percentage to each projects “address” but in this case how I think it’s working is OpenCollective is the one holding the keys to the address that the smart contract sends funds to, so they basically collect the amount earned and send it to the project’s owner in this case Ratatui, otherwise that would be “lost” if no one were to claim those funds, and if Drips is contract based it means there is no one holding and distributing the rewards so this is why you have to claim the funds from the contract, and it’s why it’s not a direct contribution in my mind but also the difference is the previous support to crypto was native in the OpenCollective app and this is what is now disabled, but this is just an example of them receiving and holding funds via crypto means still