How do I trick my brain into completing a project? I’m making an app that shows which voice actor plays a character in the movie and what other movies they act in. It’s useful for me personally but I feel like I’m making something that’s been done numerous times over and I lost the momentum because I’m on vacation with my family now. I ran into some problems with the project too and getting help takes a ton of time so it’s disrupting the rythm too. I really have to put at least 2-3 projects like this for a portfolio;_;

• DreamButt
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1011 months ago

Back when I was trying to learn programming I had two key things that worked for me:

• setting
    • reward

In my experience if you keep both of these things ironclad then you can get more consistent results. For me it was going to Starbucks and getting a tall white mocha. It was the same Starbucks, and the same seating spot every time I went. And I made sure to turn off all notifications during my coding time. Hell I even put myself on a timer.

It didn’t matter what I did during that time period, but it had to be programming related. Project work? Great! Noodling around with my IDE config to find the perfect color scheme? Still counts. Learning ever detail about a super 1337 shell oneliner? Oh yea

You can’t expect your brain to not jump around, but you can build a system that works with that.

• @KrzakOP
      link
      English
      111 months ago

That makes sense. I arrived to a similar conclusion so I’m switching the tasks up from time to time but I think I’ll reinforce that because right now it’s not planned out the best way. It can be improved.

Maybe, ironically, doing other tasks will actually help me accomplish more of the main one. I feel like it could work that way.