• @Laser@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        23 months ago

The last great mainstream arena shooter. Your opinion on whether it was the best ever may vary (I assume quite some people prefer Q3A due to the speed and other factors) but it must be one of my favorite games of all time. Playing deathmatch or onslaught on LAN parties, or even some silly mods. Later custom maps were just amazing. Such a good time. They really nailed it back then.

• @FozzyOsbourne@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      53 months ago

The further removed you are from the other person in a conversation/altercation the more your brain dehumanises them. It’s why people are rude to call centre workers, get road rage, and behave like dickheads online.

• @Milk_Sheikh@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        43 months ago

An artifact of its time - 2004. Console FPS as a genre was drowning in WWII themed shooters then, but online play wasn’t big outside PC until the Xbox 360 launched service in 2005. If you were playing online FPS then, it probably was on PC, and either Unreal Tournament, Quake, or Counter Strike.

• @Topipolous@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            2 months ago

That one single game for which I want to go back in time and go again on a server with like what 48 or 64 people and play gold rush or siwa oasis. Still best multiplayer game in history for me. So sad that last time I checked a couple years ago it was pretty much dead.

• @sep@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          13 months ago

Or CnC Renegade. Greatest teamwork shooter there was. Nothing better then convincing your team to do a flamer rush.

Played it daily for ~13 years stright