• BlanketsWithSmallpox
    link
    fedilink
    English
    153 months ago

I died a little when people started misspelling headlines on reddit just for the comment correction clicks rather than just downvoting it into oblivion.

I have slowly relented on emoji since they can be handy at times but I dread using them so end up writing about 5x more to convey my intention than just using 😆😅😭🥹🤪🥺🤐😱🤬🤯🤮😈 or ☺️.

• @starman2112@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      52 months ago

My problem with emojis is that they’re so often used for sarcasm that it’s hard to tell whether a 👍is supposed to be an “I agree” or a “yeah whatever”

• BlanketsWithSmallpox
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Meaning there’s a better emoji. Thumbs up has and should always mean just thumbs up.

A more appropriate sarcastic thumbs up would be. 🤪👍

The whole point of emoji is to literally help convey the direct emotion. If someone just uses thumbs up with no context expecting it to be read as sarcasm, then they just suck.

Have you ever given someone a thumbs up irl without a dumbass face or full body twitch attached if it was sarcastic? I sure haven’t lol.

[Serious] People hate on sarcasm tags but I’d go even further and preface nearly everything with Elcor emotion tags.

• @starman2112@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Have you ever given someone a thumbs up irl without a dumbass face or full body twitch attached if it was sarcastic? I sure haven’t lol.

I actually have, when someone was annoying me. A goofy face wouldn’t convey the disinterest I have in continuing a conversation. I guess 😐👍 could work, but that requires enough effort that it undermines the disinterest part.