• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    492 months ago

Yup. Is it in /usr /var /etc or /opt? Maybe in some hidden home folder? Sure, you can Google it, but there’s no guarantee you’ll find the right answer.

There are only a handful of places Windows sticks stuff, and it’s pretty predictable.

• lemmyvore
      link
      fedilink
      English
      142 months ago

You should never be expected to edit anything in /usr, /opt or /var. That’s highly unusual. For which software did you have to do this?

• @Opisek@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        52 months ago

Brother scanner utilities: /opt Pretty sure I had to change something in /usr once, but I forgot what. Now, /var would be very unusual. But most of the time, all the configuration files happen to be somewhere in /etc.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        32 months ago

Docker on RHEL saves everything in /var/lib, for example. Tenable and Nessus stick it in /opt. I’m currently doing a rhel7->8 upgrade, and that shit gets stuck everywhere.

But, I also have issues on my Pis. For a lot of the packages I use, I’m lucky if they actually put their .service file in /etc/systemd. Having to run a find / command on a pi can take forever.

• exu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      102 months ago

Generally /usr should be managed by the package manager, /etc is for global custom configs and the user home is user specific.
      /var shouldn’t really be config, mostly logs or webservers for some reason.

• @ManniSturgis@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      52 months ago

Disagree. Take game saves on windows. They can be in appdata\local, appdata\roaming, documents\company-name, documents\savedgames\company-name I’m sure there are more.

• @Demdaru@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Nah. 3 places.

• Appdata subfolder
        • Documents
        • Game installation folder

Savegame folder is then placed either ina folder with game name or studio name, so easy to check all these locations within minutes.

Let’s not talk about rpgmaker games tho. I’ve seen them do some wacky shit with gamesaves.

Edit: To make my point clearer, I disagree with person above me about their disagreement. Savegames on windows are predictable as hell. Thanks to person below for pointing out I didn’t convey. :<

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        22 months ago

Docker installs in /var/lib. Tenable and Nessus use /opt.

There are tons of packages that store config files in places other than /etc.

• @hperrin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          2 months ago

I don’t know what Tenable and Nessus are. I’m guess you have to install them from outside the package manager or build them from source, in which case, yeah, using /opt for config would be acceptable.

Docker’s config file is located at:

/etc/docker/daemon.json

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
            link
            12 months ago

It’s not in RHEL. Tenable and Nessus are vulnerability scanners, and Nessus at least can be installed via yum.

• @shrugs@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      32 months ago

TLDR; Windows crap, I love Linux

Long read ahead, this resulted in a pretty big rant, but I feel better now:

Windows has way more silly places. From registry to ini files, assemblies, common files, services, drivers…it’s everywhere.

Do you know how an MSI packages for software installation work? Let me tell you, it’s a mess. An utter and complete garbage format. A database with hundreds of buggy functions, empty lines and internal inconsistencies. There wasn’t even a way to create them comfortably without paying for expensive software back then. Yea, im looking at you, flexera admin studio.

I automated hundreds of custom software installations on 2000 clients from windows 2000 to XP to Windows 7 to Windows 10… for >10 years, so I know what I’m talking about.

On Linux 99% of apps save global settings in /etc and usersettings in /home/user/.* or the newer way XDG_CONFIG_HOME.

But since all is a file on Linux every config can simply be copied to restore or backup settings. Almost every tool has man pages. How hard is it to run man tool and read the specifics if you need help? Windows? Sometimes you got some help files in a strange format (.hlp?). Other then that, start the browser and ask Google.

Linux package managing since 2003 has been better then it ever has been on Windows to this day.

One command to update all components? Packages will be installed and removed automatically to fulfill the dependencies of the software you want to install? Every package is build by a trusty maintainer of the OS instead of some overworked windows engineer that needs to create profit.

Do you know how Deb files work? They are simpel zips of the folder structure and files the software consists of. A textfile with metadata like maintainer, name, version and, very important: dependencies. Last but not least there are a two or three files that can contain scripts that need to be executed prior or past installation. That’s it. And you can do everything with it.

On Windows you often are forced to find the right combination of weird parameters to ensure a program starts. commandlines like “c:\windows\powershell.exe -e cmd /c program name”, happen way more often then you would expect.

On Linux I get: Global package manager and updates with trusted packages, no telemetry, more safety, no ads, better privacy…and many more.

My personal opinion: I don’t understand how people can even question the superiority of Linux for personal devices.