• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    -112 months ago

Nope, best we can do is your choice between two of 'em. Do you prefer rule of the oligarchy or fascism?

• @givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      32 months ago

It’s actually not.

Other parties have existed, and likely will again.

The only way to get rid of first past the post is a progressive party with the overall goal of over hauling our political system.

Republicans and neoliberals will never change it, because the main reason voters vote for either is to stop the only other option.

And shit hasn’t exactly been going great, so it’s probably a good idea to do that sooner than later

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        -12 months ago

The “best I can do” language is not meant to be taken at literal face value, but is instead a common meme language, often used in a derogatory manner, e.g.:

img

(Not a great example bc it’s so mild though)

What that wording really (usually) conveys is the apathy of the speaker to the plight of the complaintant, in this case a hypothetical abstract one representing democracy in the USA, as in that is most decidedly not the best that could be done, but instead rather all that is being offered. i.e. it becomes merely a counter-offer as if in some kind of negotiation, usually in the context of a strong imbalance of power e.g. a landlord to a tenant. At that point, a weak person may just accept the offer… though a strong one may offer another counter of their own… such as actual repercussions for failure to comply:-).

Example of a hypothetical exchange:

person A: I want democracy

person B: lol how about no, best I can offer are elections that don’t mean anything!

person A: okay that’s fine, well if that’s the best you can do, then let me introduce you to my wooden friends…

img

• @Rolder@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

It’s a bit of a catch 22 because if you start voting for the progressive parties, then the shitstains on the other end of the spectrum will take over and make it impossible anyway

link
          fedilink
          English
          -12 months ago

if you start voting for the progressive parties, then the shitstains on the other end of the spectrum will take over and make it impossible anyway

By the same logic:

If people stick with the DNC and keep voting for their shitty neoliberals, at best we just keep swapping back and forth.

So the voters who don’t switch are even more of a problem.

A party of FDR style Dems would have a lock on national politics and actually accomplish things.

link
              fedilink
              English
              02 months ago

We’ve been trying that for decades and the DNC keeps passing rules to stop it.

Just a few months ago they cancelled NH’ primary for something state republicans can control.

The last two primaries NH has went progressive btw, which is likely the reason for the whole shit show.

The DNC is openly agonistic against progressives, and there’s no logical reason to think they’ll change

Hell, most moderates even want money out of politics. Biden and the DNC pulled some shady shit and now an individual can give way over half a million and the DNC is essentially a PAC that can cooperate with the candidate as much as they want.

Moderates have no problem compromising with Republicans, but they won’t with progressives because “who are you going to vote for”.

If there’s an option, maybe they’ll start listening to their voters. Maybe they’ll be replaced.

But what we’ve spent 30 years doing hasn’t been working.

• @Dagwood222@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                22 months ago

And yet, AOC walked into one of the Democratic Party’s strongholds and managed to get elected over one of the strongest members.

Their in the business of getting elected. Get the votes out and the leadership will follow.