I didn’t have a Gameboy until I was… too late.

Are the original Pokemon games worth visiting for the first time? I know there is some nostalgic reasoning to play them, but should I try it as someone who hasn’t ever played one?

Have any of you done this?

• @TheAndrewBrown@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    511 months ago

As someone powered by nostalgia that’s about halfway through Red, it’s definitely rough. I’d personally recommend playing one of the remakes (Fire Red/Leaf Green, Heart Gold/Soul Silver, or Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire) if you’re interested in the earlier games but want something that’s a little friendlier to a modern gamer.

The Let’s Go games are also the same story (generally) as the Gen 1 games and more modern. It’s also available on the Switch, which is nice since it can be hard to find some of the older games (for not a ridiculous price).

• kratoz29
      link
      fedilink
      English
      211 months ago

The Lets Go games are also the same story (generally) as the Gen 1 games and more modern. It’s also available on the Switch

Doesn’t it changes too much the gameplay?

link
        fedilink
        English
        311 months ago

The wild Pokémon work very differently and they replaced HMs but otherwise it’s fairly similar to the other modern games.

• kratoz29
          link
          fedilink
          English
          311 months ago

Oh I see, it was part of their reinvention to fix random encounters I guess.

link
            fedilink
            English
            211 months ago

A lot of it was to capitalize on Pokémon Go’s success (the catching mechanic is nearly identical), but also people had been asking that wild Pokémon be visible in the over world for years

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      111 months ago

I’ll probably just play something else then. Not looking for new even if it’s new old.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
          link
          English
          111 months ago

They sound like my only option if I’m interested in trying it out then.