A Catholic school in North Carolina had the right to fire a gay teacher who announced his marriage on social media a decade ago, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday, reversing a judge’s earlier decision.

A panel of the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia, reversed a 2021 ruling that Charlotte Catholic High School and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte had violated Lonnie Billard’s federal employment protections against sex discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. The school said Billard wasn’t invited back as a substitute teacher because of his “advocacy in favor of a position that is opposed to what the church teaches about marriage,” a court document said.

• @Weslee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    232 months ago

I don’t understand why a member of LGBT would willingly work for a Catholic school in the first place, surely it wouldn’t be a very nice place to be.

• @mearce@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I think that people often work jobs that don’t align with their beliefs. We don’t know peoples circumstances and I think its unfair to assume that everyone has a easy choice in their employer. As you said, it likely isn’t a very nice place to work for him, and as such its likely not his first choice. Even if he had other options, this seems like a case of workplace discrimination, which would make him a victim.

• @xmunk@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      32 months ago

So some people are Christians… and some people are gay… while that overlap is probably smaller than it would be if they were independent variables it still definitely exists.

One of the ways you can tell that we’ve essentially won the culture war is that even horrible people like Peter Thiel are comfortable being openly gay.

• @ripcord@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I mean, like the pope is mostly OK with gays and gay marriage now (…more or less). They’d mostly moved on to trans people being the hate target. It’s less of a conflict than it used to be.