If you are like me, then you are a huge fantasy fan. It is easily my favorite genre and I have to force myself to read to read other books. But for this list, we will be staying with this genre as we share our list of the 21 must read fantasy books of all time!

• @LoganNineFingers@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3011 months ago

These lists are subjective. I’m glad my favourite one is in there (see user name) but it’s weird to me that Robin Hobb and Codex Alera aren’t on there

Also, stop putting Patrick Rothfuss on these things. His series will never be finished and we should stop getting people stuck on book 2

• @3lizabeth4nn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1311 months ago

That and G. R. R. Martin. ASOIAF is never going to be finished.

I mean he has other stuff, but him completely ignoring finishing his biggest series is frustrating.

• SpaceBar
      link
      fedilink
      English
      611 months ago

It’s really irresponsible to include Rothfuss and Martin.

• @I_Has_A_Hat@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        411 months ago

Nah, Martin still has a place. He’s written a ton beyond A Song of Ice and Fire. The Wildcards series has been going on for over 30 years.

Rothfuss wrote 2 books (I refuse to call whatever the hell is novellas were “books”) and has spent the time since going to conventions, playing board games, and raising bees. Which isn’t a problem, seems like a pretty chill lifestyle. What is a problem is his continued promises that he’s working on the book, getting angry at fans when they ask him about it, and his insistence that he’s a modern author despite not putting out a real book for over 15 years now.

• @degrix@lemmy.hqueue.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        511 months ago

Magician: Apprentice was my first foray into fantasy and the subsequent series made me a huge fan of the whole genre. It’s definitely on my list to reread.

• @IonAddis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Raymond E. Feist is the only author that made me “understand” why dnd is popular. (I did not have a group growing up to play it with.)

His early works are great–although I am less impressed by his later ones which got very repetitive.

But the collabs with Janny Wurts were wonderful.

• @oehm@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      511 months ago

Yeah Rothfuss is what, 10 years late on the final book now? Has he addressed that at all recently?

• @Bldck@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        311 months ago

Crippling anxiety and depression, plus an overwhelming fear of disappointing his entire fan base by not living up to their expectations of his finale.

He reinvested his time into world builders and probably won’t come back to writing any time soon

• Senex
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

He’s already disappointed us. Just put the darn book out already.

• @Bldck@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            211 months ago

Disappointing us on schedule is different from writing something bad and disappointing us

• @BadAdvice@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      011 months ago

I’m always sad to see Codex Alera not get the respect it deserves. Granted, considering its origin, it doesn’t deserve much respect, but the end product is just so good imo.

Also never see Embers of Illeniel make the list either. Mageborn is an alright fantasy romp but the Embers prequel series really steps into interesting territory for me. It’s that perfect level of fantasy setting meets Sci fi concepts. Like ye Olde battlefield earth.

• @BadAdvice@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          211 months ago

Codex Alera started as a drunken bet between Jim and another party that he couldn’t write a series on just two wildly disparate concepts. They were “pokemon” and “the lost Roman legion” lmao idk about your feelings but book series founded on foolish drunken bets probably don’t deserve much respect. This is a wondrous exception to that rule.