Today I deleted my Reddit account.

I think the platform is now just a playground for AIs and has integrated lots of ways to make money (prenium subscription, NFT, way too many ads for my taste).

What really made me take the plunge was Reddit’s interface. Seriously, go to the website, what’s with the attrocity? It’s like Fandom but as a social network?

Now why am I on Lemmy? Because in my opinion, it’s the first step towards a mainstream Fedivers! Mastodon, Peertube and Pixelfed aren’t very widespread, but when you see the number of people active in Lemmy communities, it’s really impressive! It’s also free and Open Source which is always great, but also as open as possible, I mean, Reddit killed Apollo on iOS, I can now have lots of apps on my iPhone with Lemmy!

Now what do I expect from Lemmy. For this universe of instances to grow, but also to add a bit of personality to the platform! Do a bit of Reddit and add customization options for each community, like on the Minecraft Subreddit of old Reddit that I’ve always smiled at.

In short, I’m happy to be on Lemmy.

• @OpenStars
    link
    English
    edit-2
    24 days ago

Removed by mod

• @can@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      24 days ago

One tip is that most of us “use” Lemmy a bit differently than Reddit. Most niche communities (with some exceptions ofc:-) here aren’t as active as they were on Reddit, so many of us end up spending more time in the generalized ones - e.g. !technology@lemmy.world rather than specific ones like r/OnePlus or even r/Android.

I know it’s now a cliché comparison but that was what early reddit was like. If you were a more recent redditors you need to realize it started smaller too, originally there weren’t even subreddits, and there was a /r/reddit.com once they were introduced.

That level of granularity largely won’t be necessary here for a while but I don’t mind at all.

• @SorteKanin@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      323 days ago

Blocking instances certainly has its place, but keep in mind that it only blocks the communities of that instance. You’ll still see comments from the instance and the instance will still influence your feed via their voting.

It is generally better to choose an instance that defederates from the instances you don’t like.

• @Die4Ever@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      223 days ago

Most niche communities (with some exceptions ofc:-) here aren’t as active as they were on Reddit, so many of us end up spending more time in the generalized ones - e.g. !technology@lemmy.world rather than specific ones like r/OnePlus or even r/Android.

I think we need to get better about crossposting to multiple communities. You could post to all 3 of those.

• @OpenStars
        link
        English
        223 days ago

That would triple the number of mods required, for one, and with complicated cross-reporting like “spam” would get removed from all but “lack of relevance to community” may only be removed from some.

Perhaps an app or base Lemmy itself could implement a keyword system to selectively highlight all posts from multiple technology communities that match the word “OnePlus” and deliver them to one place for consumption.

But either of these solutions would require effort to build.