• @stellargmite@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1871 month ago

Why would we believe the promises of the ones who ruined the primary utility of their core product in the first place, and convinced or blackmailed the rest of the internet to take part in the ruination ? An advertising corporation will tell us to put cyanide on our pizza if it makes them an extra buck this quarter, and google is worse than that. Profit despite the social costs is doing no evil /s

• MagnyusG
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      621 month ago

“Don’t be evil”

Shit writes itself.

• Gormadt
          link
          fedilink
          English
          501 month ago

I said it back then and I’ll say it again: Calling your mega corporation “Alphabet” sounds hella distopian

• palordrolap
            link
            fedilink
            351 month ago

The main reason for the name is that it sorts before both Amazon and Apple in the Big Tech directory. It’s literally as petty as that. They obviously chose a word that was related to searching within that criterion, but still.

• @Excrubulent@slrpnk.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                edit-2
                1 month ago

It’s honestly weird to imagine them being concerned with branding at all because they are literally an umbrella corporation that doesn’t seem to interface with customers directly. Like I never think about them and I suspect having regular people think more about them would not be good for them in any way.

“Alphabet” works for that in my head because it slides off my brain. I forget they exist until something reminds me.

• @FiniteBanjo@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 month ago

It actually wasn’t, I used to think that as well, but they just moved it to a different section of their Code of Conduct, out of the Preface. Part of the reason so many people think it was removed is because of the countless headlines saying it was removed…

(from the preface)

They did violate federal labor laws by firing 3 employees who brought forth a lawsuit alleging the clause was a contractual obligation, though. So that sucks.

• @disguy_ovahea@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            41 month ago

It may be in their code of conduct, but that’s not their motto. As of 2015, their motto is “Do the right thing.”

• Hello Hotel
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 month ago

They changed it to “Do the right thing” which literally makes it less original but more importantly, more pliable, “do the right thing… for ‘google’.”

Im shure the CEO is “doing the right thing… for his wallet”