• @FiniteBanjo@lemmy.today
    link
    fedilink
    91 month ago

TBH I never got into Stranger Things. All of these critically acclaimed TV shows are always like “OH TRUST ME IT GETS GOOD AFTER THE FIRST 3 HOURS” like nah I’m good, mate.

• @stufkes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      471 month ago

ST is immediately good. You just don’t like it, and that’s fine. Season 1 was critically acclaimed for good reasons.

• @Telodzrum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      251 month ago

ST is good out of the gate. I found it just fell off hard after S1. Hat’s off to the marketing team though. They saturated the internet with gifs and image macros and even managed to get a meme template generated.

• @Zozano@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      71 month ago

What is your favourite TV series?

Would you recommend it to others?

Would you recommend it if the first 3 hours weren’t very entertaining, but were necessary for plot development?

• Cethin
        link
        fedilink
        English
        41 month ago

Not the guy you’re talking to, but my opinion is the only good shows spend time building their world like that. It shows the world is complex and matters. If you blow past that then your world must either be identical to ours or it isn’t interesting.

My favorite show I think is Battlestar: Galactica. You have to watch a entire miniseries before it gets into the swing of things; when the episodes start. The viewer needs to be immersed in the world to be able to understand the stakes and actually care about what’s happening, for any world anyone creates that isn’t our own.

link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Idk if I have a favorite TV series but I guess some recent picks would be The Midnight Club and Guillermo Del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities, both of which are pretty gripping from early on tbh. If both of them took multiple episodes for stuff to start happening and multiple seasons to resolve any plotlines then I would never recommend them to anybody: at that point reading books is more thrilling.

A series serves better as a collection of stories whose whole is more meaningful than their parts.

• @Zozano@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          81 month ago

Depends on the person I suppose.

I thought Game of Thrones was dull to start, but I was glad to have stuck with it while it was airing. It’s a shame it turned into shit though.

• @psycho_driver@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            21 month ago

All you had to do in GoT was make it to the end of the first episode and then you’re like “whoa wait aren’t those two brother and sister?!?”

link
            fedilink
            01 month ago

I think Game of Thrones had lots of intrigue in the first few episodes but I also didn’t like that one because I’m not a big fan of incest, murdering children, discussion of if prostitutes do or do not constitute skill in getting laid, and rape by the ocean. Also, sociopolitical landscapes of medieval Europe in grimdark lack of proper succession contexts.

But I won’t judge people who do like it.