• @JasonDJ@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Literally can’t stay ahead of it.

My kid re-activated prime on me a long time ago, before I had even started thinking about parental controls, by selecting a movie on the Kindle Fire playing with the remote.

Thought I’d learned my lesson, but no. Couple years later he reactivated Audible by asking the thermostat to read him a story. He was probably like 4 or 5 by then. Not only reactivated Audible, but wasted a credit on The Three Little Pigs

• @taiyang@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      301 month ago

My 2 year old reactivated prime twice now, and a britbox subscription, all playing with the remote. I swear you can sit on the fire stick remote and it’ll sign you up.

I actually was a prime member the first time, I cancelled it after that britbox subscription. We literally go out of our way now to avoid Amazon— which is haaaard. At least you can get a refund if you bug them enough.

• @TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        111 month ago

Ok, you’re the third person I’ve heard of that had an accidental britbox subscription. I’m not even sure you have to sit on the remote for that one.

• @MystikIncarnate@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 month ago

I’m so confused how these devices ended up subscribing you to these services without further validation.

I use mainly Google products and I don’t think I can even subscribe to audible if I tried, by voice alone.

Were these Amazon devices or something? I’m really confused.

• @JasonDJ@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Yes, Kindle Fire TV and Ecobee thermostat (with Alexa).

And for the record, I hate Alexa, or at least the version in my thermostat. Alexa makes Google nests look like a Nobel laureate.

These were also reactivations, so they already had all our account info, and entirely inside Amazons walled garden.

• @MystikIncarnate@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          11 month ago

Well, that at least mostly explains it.

But giving the ability for Alexa to activate paid services is kind of crazy to me.