I’d like to know from anyone who is treated satisfactorily whether they have any symptoms that persist and resist treatment, and if so, which ones. Ideally, I’d like to collect enough data to produce some sort of statistics (not scientific, of course). Feel free to use any format and language you like.

For me:

• The urge to fidget
  • Attention span, which is better but rarely exceeds an hour
  • Hyperfixation and hyperfocus

EDIT: Got hyperfixated, compiling the following JSON from your answers, so feel free if you want to follow the template :)

{ "diagnosis": "ADHD", "treatment": ["fluoxetine", "methylphenidate XR"], "age": "30", "years_in_treatment": "3", "remaining_symptoms": [ "fidgeting", "hyperfixations", "hyperfocus" ], "attention_span": "60", "record_date": "31/05/2024" }

• @infinitevalence
    link
    English
    1318 days ago

Medication is a leg up but not a cure for ADHD. Some people can come off medication and be perfectly functional adults, others will need support for their whole life. I was first diagnosed in 1998 but we were still in the early days of really understanding it along with learning disabilities and how we treat them. In addition I was already an adult so many of my habits, and brain pathways had been established already.

Today, I still fidget, I still forget things, I still nod my head and pretend I listened but nothing was captured or understood, I still get moments of hyperfixation and times where I cant find any motivation to do anything even preferred tasks. Probably the hardest thing for me is impulse control and executive function, and its the least affected by my medication.

I struggle with communication and authority and can react poorly in social situations because of this impulse/executive function difficulty. Thankfully I have support other than just chemical, I have an ADHD coach (she is ok), and a Therapist who is fantastic.

{ "diagnosis": "ADHD", "treatment": ["lisdexamfetamine ", "sertraline"], "age": "43", "years_in_treatment": "25", "remaining_symptoms": [ "fidgeting", "hyperfixations", "hyperfocus","executive dysfunction","interm memory disorder","depression","racing thoughts" ], "attention_span": "45", "record_date": "31/05/2024" }

• @thecookingsenpai@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      118 days ago

{ “diagnosis”: “ADHD”, “treatment”: ["lisdexamfetamine ", “sertraline”], “age”: “43”, “years_in_treatment”: “25”, “remaining_symptoms”: [ “fidgeting”, “hyperfixations”, “hyperfocus”,“executive dysfunction”,“interm memory disorder”,“depression”,“racing thoughts” ], “attention_span”: “45”, “record_date”: “31/05/2024” }

Super useful insight and thanks a lot taking time to compile the statistics! Inserted :) Also, I agree medication is not the holy grail and that’s why I am compiling this for-fun statistic: while awareness has increased, ADHD is still way misunderstood often