cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/16149785

Cross-posting here for more opinions.

Gentlemen, just for context, I usually use Linux. I have been a user of Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora for a few years.

Recently, I acquired a decent graphics card (GeForce RTX 4070) and decided to uninstall my Windows and install Linux.

I saw that Pop!_OS already has an image with everything pre-configured for Nvidia. Is this pre-configuration worth it, are the games more stable on this distribution, or is it the same as manually installing Nvidia’s proprietary drivers on Manjaro?

• @azvasKvklenko@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      527 days ago

Bazzite is Fedora os-tree immutable distro. It allows installing RPMs but it’s not nearly as flexible as traditional distros. That being said, you can still do basically everything, but not always straightforward. If you need a C/C++ dev env with toolchain and what not, you better of using something like Distrobox or your custom Podman/Docker containers for that.

• @Lem453@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        27 days ago

Aurora dev edition is the bazzite equivalent for devs. Containers built right into the terminal (ptyxis).

• @Croquette@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        227 days ago

I don’t have a lot of time these days, so my PC is mostly used for gaming at the moment. So I am not too worried about the OS being immutable if the gaming is good out of the box.

I still keep a kubuntu os and dual boot the other os I want to try on another ssd.

• @yala
      link
      427 days ago

The answer found here should give my general thoughts.

But, with embedded dev, I’d argue that both Aurora and Bluefin (with their respective DX: (i.e. development friendly) variants) should make more sense.

• @Croquette@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        327 days ago

I am mostly gaming these days but a few months a year, there is a 3d printed project with some embedded components so I’d like the distro to be relatively easy to use in those cases.

Thanks for the explanation.