I’m currently looking to develop an open source app that can help somebody. I’m currently out of ideas, so I’d like to heard if from you guys.

Sorry if it seems to lazy to ask for ideas like that, I just thought that I could do it since the result will be a free app.

• @delirious_owl
    link
    524 days ago

No, I’m not looking for an alternative. I’m looking for an open source client that let’s me talk to folks on WhatsApp.

• Vik
      link
      fedilink
      English
      324 days ago

I see, fair enough. I don’t know if you’ll have any luck with a FOSS third party client which does t violate their TOS. There was something on fdroid years ago, a wrapper that effectively allowed you to use WhatsApp Web on another phone (or perhaps even the same one), but it ultimately requried the use of the official clients

• @delirious_owl
        link
        124 days ago

If you use one of those WhatsApp web apps, you still have to use the closed source app. It doesn’t solve the problem

• Vik
          link
          fedilink
          English
          123 days ago

Yes, I already aluded to this. Point being, I don’t think you’ll find a viable FOSS front end since it would violate their TOS.

• @delirious_owl
            link
            123 days ago

Most people don’t care about violating ToS. Its not a risk to an open source project.

• Vik
              link
              fedilink
              English
              123 days ago

It is to

A: the continuity of said project (DMCA) and B: to the individual end users.

You can use FOSS clients for things like Discord or the Google play store but you still run the risk of getting banned.

• @delirious_owl
                link
                122 days ago

Shit, I get banned by their shitty ML algos when I do comply with their ToS. I don’t think most people care about the risk of having to create new accounts, since they’re already forced to do so already.

• Vik
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  edit-2
                  22 days ago

Ordinarily I’d agree, but for now, WhatsApp is tied to your phone number. I’m not sure if you can use some kind of service to create alias numbers but for many people, that’s a big blocker when it comes to making another account following any kind of infraction.

I don’t think meta would shift in requiring a phone number per account either,

• @delirious_owl
                    link
                    122 days ago

Oh, I don’t have a phone number. I just use a temp one online.