The meme has been liked nearly 9,000 times and shared 2,400 times as of Monday. In reaction to Mr Trump’s repost, journalist Aaron Rupar sarcastically wrote on Twitter: “rubbing my last 2 brain cells together as I try to remember who ran the government on January 6.”

The former president shared the meme despite a House committee that investigated January 6 declaring Mr Trump the “central cause” of the day’s events. “None of the events of January 6th would have happened without him,” the House panel wrote in its final report.

• 🐱TheCat
    link
    fedilink
    231 year ago

ROFL imagine thinking the establishment hates Trump. Trump family is OLD OLD OLD MONEY, they are part of the establishment, kiddie-fucking Epstein clients and all.

The fact that he convinced you he was anti-establishment just shows that he’s a decent con man. I can’t think of one fucking scrap of evidence that’s he’s anti-establishment, and he sure did pass those tax cuts for the rich and run that money printer while in office (even in 2019, pre-pandemic), and he sure did let those Jan 6 people rot in jail.

So if you’re STILL thinking he’s anti-establishment I have a bridge to sell you.

• @yiliu@informis.land
      link
      fedilink
      61 year ago

Trump may be rich, but he’s also a fucking idiot, and a populist. Those are terrible for business. He desperately wants to be ‘the establishment’, but he’s not.

The tax cuts (and the attempt at repealing Obamacare) were part of the trade he made with the Republican party, and Paul Ryan in particular, in exchange for their support.

• 🐱TheCat
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Uhhuh and did he have to run the money printer to get their support too? Nah? I guess we’ll ignore that one (and the Epstein jab) because the repubs can’t blame anyone else for those.

I have no idea what people think a ‘populist’ is anymore. If you mean ‘he tries to appeal to the working man’ then most politicians do, and in fact the entire GOP platform is blaming the government for things (while running the government).

If you mean he ‘blames the elites while being part of it’ then, duh, so do many people including Tucker Carlson have been doing for that for decades. Does that make them populists or con men?

In studies, the predicting factor for Trump voters was authoritarianism. Seems ironic somehow.

• @yiliu@informis.land
          link
          fedilink
          21 year ago

Are you under the impression that I’m a Republican, much less a Trump supporter? I’m not trying to defend Trump, I loathe him and I sincerely hope he goes to jail for the January 6th riot, because that set an extremely dangerous precedent. At the same time, facts are facts.

The money printer kicked in specifically due to COVID. Before that Trump gave some big tax breaks to corporations, as well as an offshore-tax amnesty. You can definitely be mad at him for that, but it wasn’t paid for with newly-minted money.

If Trump is shown to have abused minors with Epstein, that’s another very good reason to put him in jail. But Epstein did his best to rub shoulders with the rich & famous, and pedophilia is not an airborne disease, so the fact that some rich or famous person is associated with him in some way is not sufficient proof to me that they’re a pedophile. If somebody in my neighborhood was convicted as a pedophile, I wouldn’t immediately assume that everybody who ever hitched a ride with him or went to see the superbowl at his place was also a pedophile.

I would agree that ‘populist’ pretty much means ‘con-man’. It’s somebody who basically says: Everything that’s wrong with the world, and your life specifically, is somebody else’s fault! You people are great, you’re the real salt of the earth, keep doing exactly what you’re doing! Vote for me and I’ll make things better for you and worse for everybody you don’t like! Anybody who suggests there’s more nuance to the situation is your enemy!

Tucker Carlson is 100% a populist.

The mainstream Republican party of the post-Bush years was never really populist, because they kinda loathed their own voters too much for that. They’d pander, but their heart wasn’t in it. The big schism in the party today is basically between the new populists and the old elitists…which is pretty much the state of the Democratic party as well.

• 🐱TheCat
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            11 months ago

We mostly agree, I just need to push back against the assertion that trump started money printing post covid.

He started loudly blaming the FED and calling for money printing in August 2019, well before COVID

He wanted a juiced economy for the election year, nothing else